Monday, October 5, 2009

Hae-Jin

Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Met a Girl Name Hae-Jin

This past week, I met up with a korean lady and her daughter Haejin who has the exact same diagnosis as Emily. Her daughter is 4 years old. The cutest little girl. No mental problem but has mild form of spastic diplegia. Haejin's mom wanted to meet me because she also met with Dr Park in St Louis. However she was too scared to set up the surgery date since it's a irreversible surgery. However after she saw how Emily can walk and move around without needing braces or anything, she got strength.

She asked me to look at Haejin's legs and ankles. It was a flashback for me on how Emily "used to be" prior to her SDR surgery in St Louis. ALot of the feelings and mother's anxiety that I went through back then came back. And my heart went out to this lady. Let me remind you that this whole conversation for an hour and a half was in korean. (and believe me my korean language is NOT good at all). I shared with her all of my experiences about Emily and her condition prior to surgery and post surgery. It was so nice to really share and know that the other person knows EXACTLY when I am talking about and went through.

This was a very special meeting. This lady came from Korea about 4 years ago because of her husband's job transfer. And they live here in Irvine. She is not a Christian and has been meeting Joshua's mom (Joshua is Emily's classmate in kindergarten).  Haejin's mom said she feels like it is God who connected her to Joshua's mom who connected her to me.

When Emily was sitting next to Haejin, I saw alot of resemblance. They were both mild manner, good at drawing, and even looked alike. Haejin's ankles were super tight, hyperextending her knees, poor balance, weak trunk muscles and legs. She did not have her braces on because her mom didn't want her to wear it. Dr Park said Haejin needs the SDR to have a "normal life". I confirmed and acknowledged Dr Park's comment because Emily is able to have a normal life and participate in activities that other kids her age can do.

I hope Hae-Jin has her surgery too so that this child can have a beautiful life as Emily is having right now.

What a precious child!

No comments: